It was held last week in 1U, and an interactive workshop between mum and baby. The workshop titled, “Are you Caring for his Skin the Right Way?” featured two paediatricians, Dr Aileen Wee and Dr Yap Hsiao Ling, who gave moms a hands-on, interactive experience ranging from healthy skin development for babies to age-appropriate skincare before culminating in the highlight of the afternoon, a baby massage demonstration!
“Johnson’s® Baby understands and shares every mother’s passion and commitment towards giving her baby the best care. With over 100 years’ experience in baby skincare, it’s only right for us to share this knowledge with Malaysian mothers so that they can care for their baby’s skin with confidence and peace of mind,” said Ms Chen Pei Ming, Senior Professional Marketing & OTC Manager, Johnson & Johnson Malaysia.
“Many parents don’t realise just how delicate baby’s skin can be, so it’s important to be informed and to make informed choices for the sake of your baby’s skin health,” explained Dr Wee. “This includes using products that are specially formulated to care for the delicate needs of baby’s skin, especially during the first year of life, when his skin is still developing.”
Understanding and Caring for his Skin the Right Way:
1) Baby skin is 30% thinner than adult skin, and loses water more quickly during the first 12 months of his life.
2) The right baby-specific skincare is critical in the first months of a baby’s life because baby skin is more vulnerable to dryness, irritation and infection during this time.
3) While it’s important not to use harsh soaps as this can damage the skin barrier, water alone is not sufficient. Based on a Johnson’s® Baby research, babies cleansed with Johnson’s® Baby Top to Toe Wash showed no difference in several key indicators when compared to those who had been cleansed only with water. This indicates that Johnson’s® Baby Top to Toe Wash is as mild on skin as water.
4) It’s important to wash your baby’s face, neck, hands, and bottom carefully every day.
5) It’s more important to review the product from the perspective of mildness and safety as well as scientific evidence, rather than relying on a label that says ‘natural’ or ‘organic’.
6) Choosing the right cleanser for your baby, especially in the first few months after birth, can help prevent irreversible skin damage such as redness and itching, dryness, scaling and roughness, and tightness after washing.
7) A good night’s rest makes a huge difference in baby’s disposition when he wakes! This is why the Johnson’s® Baby Bedtime range was created, with a unique formula to help relax babies, thereby encouraging them to have a good nights’ sleep. Its unique scent and gentle ingredients form the Natural CalmTM essence, which is found in the entire range comprising a bath, lotion, oil and powder. Most importantly, Johnson’s® Baby also has a clinically proven routine to help babies sleep more soundly, which we will be demonstrating in a short while!
Some Important Tips on Baby Skin Care:
A) First of all, choose the right skincare that is specially formulated to be safe and gentle for babies.
B) Following bath-time, seal the moisture in baby’s skin with a lotion or massage oil.
C) It’s important at all times to be alert for any signs of skin irritation, especially at the folds of the skin such as the neck, inner part of the elbows and behind the knees where dirt, sweat or excessive moisture can become trapped. Any rash should be treated immediately, to prevent it from getting worse.
D) Moms can also help to reduce baby’s exposure to irritants by washing new clothes and bedding before use, using repellents and mosquito screens to prevent insect bites, and keeping them out of the sun whenever possible.
The workshop came to a close with the baby massage demonstration led by Dr Yap, who explained, “The sense of touch is essential for human beings, and massage has long been known to have positive benefits. Among babies, research indicates that massage can help reduce colic, encourage better growth and improve sleep.”
Find out more about the Johnson’s® Baby commitment to safe, mild and effective skincare at www.johnsonsbaby.com or stay up-to-date via www.facebook.com/iLoveJohnsonsbaby.com, where you can also post questions to be answered by the Doktorbudak panel!
About Johnson’s® Baby
For over 100 years, Johnson’s® Baby has dedicated itself to understanding babies and the special nurturing their eyes, skin, and hair require. Johnson’s® Baby uses that knowledge to provide mothers with safe, clinically proven mild and gentle products. Its range of products engages the senses and when used with baby’s routines can help evoke positive emotions and ultimately enhance the loving bond between a mother and her baby. Trusted by moms and healthcare professionals around the world, Johnson’s® Baby continues to apply knowledge and research to bring consumers safe, innovative products that live up to their pure, mild and gentle promise.
DoktorBudak is an online platform available to all parents seeking free non-emergency advice on child health topics. It is created and managed by a volunteer panel of medical experts comprising a group of paediatricians, paediatric dentist, paediatric surgeon, paediatric dermatologist, child psychiatrist, speech therapist, pharmacist and a nutritionist. Currently, there are 25 dedicated medical experts on board and the number is expected to grow. For more information, kindly visit www.doktorbudak.com.my.
After long trust using Johnson's product, I can say I seldom use others. Johnson has given me good confidence. #JBstoriesinabottle